Central Defender (the abbreviation CD is commonly used) is a player's position within Hattrick. He is fielded as the central defender in a team and, through the use of their skills, has the largest effect upon your defence ratings, but also contribute to midfield.
Central defenders are the heart of your defense and obviously Defending is their most prominent skill. Playmaking is also beneficial, and their Passing skill really makes a difference when counter-attacking.
Wing skill is used only when playin towards wing, otherwise it's useless.
Defenders determine the three defence ratings in a match, together with the goalkeeper, wing backs, inner midfielders and wingers. In addition, the Playmaking skill contributes a small amount to the midfield rating.
Central defenders can be placed as:
Normal central defender (CD) — The Defending skill contributes mainly the central defence, but also a lesser contribution to side defence. A lone central defender will contribute equally to both wing defence zones, while one of a pair will contribute more to the side on which he is playing.
51.6% of his Defending skill for Side Defence (half to left and half to right if central) 100% of his Defending skill for Central Defence 23.6% of his Playmaking skill for Midfield
Offensive central defender (CDO) — The defender uses more Playmaking and less Defending, still contributes to all three defence ratings.
37.8% of his Defending skill for the Side Defence rating (half to left and half to right if central) 72.5% of his Defending skill for the Central Defence rating 39.8% of his Playmaking skill for the Midfield rating
Central defender towards wing (CDTW) — He will contribute some Wing skill to the wing attack on his side. Also, he contributes to the wing defence and less to the central defence.
81.0% of his Defending skill for the Side Defence rating 67.0% of his Defending skill for the Central Defence rating 16.5% of his Playmakingskill for the Midfield rating 24.6% of his Winger skill for the Side Attack rating
There are some penalties in case you play 2 or 3 defenders on the central position. Overcrowding penalty affect all players' skills playing in that specific central area of pitch of your team and they Penalties for central defenders are:
- 2 Central defenders: -3.6%
- 3 Central defenders: -10%
A ranking of central defenders specialties:
- Powerful defender — loses more skills in the sun, but he plays better in the rain. He is the key player to improve pressing tactic.
- Head defender — improves chance of scoring on set pieces, but he can trigger negative events from Technical Wingers, Inner Midfielders, and Forwards.
- Technical defender — plays better in the sunshine, but loses skill in the rain. Your chances to trigger a non-tactical counter-attack event increases with every Technical defender you have on the field.
- Quick defender — stops a quick event from Wingers, Forward or Inner Midfielder (100% chance), but has big negative drawback in losing skills both in rain and sun. Any Quick Winger will give a small boost on Counter-attacks tactic.
- Unpredictable defender — can eliminate negative effects with high Defending, but needs good Passing skill to create SE chances.