Defensive wing back
1. Reduces the wingback's contribution to Right Attack or Left Attack.
2. Increases the wingback's contribution to the Right Defense or Left Defense ratings.
3. Increases the Wingback contribution to the Central Defence rating.
Recent Changes to Defensive Wingback
Traditionally, this has been the most popular role for wingbacks, far more popular than Normal Wingbacks. However two recent changes have weakened the Defensive Wingback.
1) The recent reduction in the contribution to central defence by a significant amount (while increasing the contribution of Wingback Towards Middle).
2)The recent increase of the wing contribution of a Wingback to wing attacks. This has made the sacrifice of the WB's wingskill a little more damaging to team performance.
These changes are recent and Defensive Wingback remains a popular choice.
Rule of Thumb
If your opponent has a strong wing attack, playing a Wingback "defensive" gives you a better defense against their attacks. However, if your opponent does not have strong wing attacks, then Normal Wingback or even Offensive Wingback should be considered if your Wingback has some wing skill.
- Wing - Market & Discussion (1100+ members)