Defensive wing back
A defensive wing back is a player who has been positioned at a wing back position with the defensive command. Pure defenders are the best choice for this role, as winger skill is now of minimal importance.
- Reduces the wing back's contribution to Right Attack or Left Attack.
- Increases the wing back's contribution to the Right Defence or Left Defence ratings.
- Increases the wing back contribution to the Central Defence rating.
Recent changes to defensive wing back
Traditionally, this has been the most popular role for wing backs, far more popular than normal wing backs. However two recent changes have weakened the defensive wing back.
1) The recent reduction in the contribution to central defence by a significant amount (while increasing the contribution of a wing back towards middle).
2) The recent increase of the wing contribution of a wing back to wing attacks. This has made the sacrifice of the wing back's wing skill a little more damaging to team performance.
These changes are recent and defensive wing back remains a popular choice.
Rule of Thumb
If your opponent has a strong wing attack, playing a wing back "defensive" gives you a better defense against their attacks. However, if your opponent does not have strong wing attacks, then normal wing back or even offensive wing back should be considered if your wing back has some wing skill.
- Wing - Market & Discussion (1100+ members)