Each team is run by a human manager who is solely responsible for hiring and firing players, staff and coaches, setting the formation and tactics for the competitive matches, and planning and implementing a long term training and economic strategy.
Teams not run by humans are known as bot teams, or simply bots.
Each club plays a 16 week league (also called series) program. The first week game consists of the first round of the cup. Cup games continue as long as you keep winning. After that, friendly matches can be played. The following 14 weekend games are played against series opponents.
The last week is called by many people the 'off season'. During this week, no league or cup games are played, but a number of updates happen. These include all yellow cards being removed, and the mood of supporters and sponsors being reset.
As in real life, in Hattrick's world each team has its own individual name, picked by the user on signing up. While each team has a unique ID number, team names are unique. Some popular names are used by many teams.
Some team names relate to a real club such as AC Milan. More common are puns like Madchester Untied.
To learn more about team names, click here.
Researching Other Teams
It is always useful to research your next opponent by checking their previous games and also their best players. There are several tools to assist in this. Details can be found on the Helper Applications page.
Teams by Nation
There are a number of special teams in Hattrick. For example teams where all players have the same name, names of real life famous people or something else that make them stand out.
- Frying Pigs , all players' last name is Bacon.
- Bäckströms BK , at one time all players' last name was Bäckström. This theme has since been dropped and the team is now Home-grown and named Absolut Hembränt.
- Nomenklatura , names of real politicians, tv-commentators related with politics, politic analysts.
- Flevo-Ajax , all players have names of current or previous players of Ajax.
- Redteddy , all players have names of current or previous players in AS Roma.
- Kerrigold FC , all players' last name is Kerry, Kerri, Carey or similar.
- Split Perssonality, Most players last name was Persson. Team is no more.
- Absolut Hembränt , Fully home-grown.
- Boddingtons FC , Fully home-grown.
- Floresta United , Fully home-grown and no rebought players.
Other special teams
- Hattrick Hospital , team only buying injured players. Team also holds the record for biggest squad (370 players, 21 November 2008)
- SOL "Mae'r tîm gwaethaf yn y bydysawd HT (dal)" , a team with one player from each HT country.
- Hattrick´s worst team - A team that put an effort in being the lousiest team in Hattrick.