There's a whole lot of "categories" and links here, and some more will probably appear. I'm not sure this is the correct way of displaying them - there's already too much clutter, as a total of 27 links are currently presented in the sidebar. They're not even alphabetically sorted, so usability is at its minimum. I suggest drastically decreasing the number of links, and creating valid lists on the Main Page. --Catalyst2950 16:24, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
I fully agree, it's good that the sidebar is locked but at the moment it's no good. Let's present / collect some alternatives here. -- GM-Lau 16:28, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
I'm going to play in the Sandbox for a while. I think a nice alternative would be to have several floated DIV's in various colours, that group certain link categories. --Catalyst2950 16:42, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
Here we go: Meta:Sandbox. I have created nine nice little floated standards-compliant boxes (generic block elements), which means they happily play along with different screen resolutions and different font sizes. The default size could be decreased a bit to make three of them horizontally fit in 1024x768. However, editing them on a per-box basis doesn't really work. Maybe MediaWiki doesn't like empty lines. --Catalyst2950 17:11, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
- I see you implemented those on the main page: nice! --GM-Lau 13:53, 27 November 2005 (UTC)
I'd basically pair up a lot of the links
Rules & My HT (Rules) Team & Club (either / or, not both) Players & Skills (Players) Coach & Training (Training) Economy Employees Fans & Sponsors Youth Arena Transfers Line Up & Tactics & Rating & Match Report (The Match) Conferences --Dancing rob
Changing Helper Applications into CHPP is somewhat misleading, as some Helper Applications are not CHPP. There are a number of tools that don't require login or any contact with Hattrick itself. --EchoMan 10:46, February 3, 2009 (UTC)
- Didn't quite realize it was a new page altogether. So is Helper Applications being dropped in favout of CHPP? I always thought helper applications was a good page to have in the menu for an easy-to-find reference to the available sites and tools. More so than a set of CHPP guidelines which would be of interest ro far less of the wiki visitors. --EchoMan 10:48, February 3, 2009 (UTC)
- Good point. I changed that back. --Jhattara 14:02, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- What is that page history link? Also one other thing bugging me: we're link to the categories newbie tips + competitions. Maybe we should link to articles instead. It's a bit confusing, but that's maybe just me and a minor point anyway, the new is already much better as it used to be and luckily we don't even need HTs to change it...--Mod-Karlthegreat 14:10, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- Fixed that. Some problems with MediaWiki reserved words. --Jhattara 09:56, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
There are to many items in the side bar! All these items should be on the frontpage (most are), not in the sidebar. This issue is already raised in 2005, is it gonna be fixed? A few items like (see frontpage); the game, the club, the team, the match and community should be enough. --Super07 11:27, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Let's start the discussion... --Jhattara 10:28, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
Okay.. Well I think the sidebar should consist of some rather big pages with links to many others.
So for example Players, Skill and Team are quite good, Club and Manual could be easily removed. And replace My Hattrick by My Hattrick (Menu) off course. ZF-Nightwish 16:36, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- The sidebar can also be divided into few sections. What would you consider the most important links in there? Which are the most useless? --Jhattara 23:43, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
Some sugestions for the sidebar:
- Keep the Mainpage link (many people don't know cliking the logo has the same effect).
- Recent changes/random page? Not sure about these; first is handy for editors, the second ehm funny?
- Help? in it's current form: no, but we definitely need a help/start page in the sidebar.
- Then keep: Training, Players, Skills, Tactics, Youth, Staff, Economy, Coach and Abbreviations. (most of them could use an update but that's another issue).
- Drop: Manual (can be read on HT..), Club (difference with team?), History, Community and Newbie tips.
- Everything else could be considered (rather yes than no for me ^^), and maybe add "achievements" (the only top-10 popular page not in the sidebar atm).
- And I have nothing against a long sidebar.
Just some ideas :) ZF-Nightwish 21:11, 22 May 2010 (UTC)
How about this:
- Main page
- Recent changes
- Random page
- Help (of course this would have to be populated or directed to the generic mediawiki Help page)
- My Hattrick
- Club (or Team)
- Finances (new word for economy in hattrick)
- Training (Coach has mainly the same info)
- Tactics (formations, ratings, match report ...)
--Jhattara 14:23, 23 May 2010 (UTC)
- Looks pretty good to me. Although some of those pages will need a clear-up. For example: at the moment "tactics" is just... well tactics (counter, pressing etc.). And is it the current history page you have in mind. ^^ ZF-Nightwish 18:54, 23 May 2010 (UTC)
- Should probably just drop that history. Looks like I forgot the competitions page. I'd like to see it too. Just don't know where to put it. --Jhattara 19:06, 23 May 2010 (UTC)