I also agree that an external link needs to be put to the hattrick rules. It would also be a good idea to table, or at least bulet the currency conversions
Do we really need to duplicate Rules in Hattrick wiki? I think, it would suffice to have a like to Hattrick rules page. Few reasons:
- Hattrick rules are constantly changing to reflect changes (it would be harldy possible to track these changes here)
- Hattrick rules are supported in all Hattrick languages
- Hattrick rules show ammount corresponding currencies, and not in some hardcoded currency.
rules to much
If your gonna have the rules on wiki, they need to be condensed or be broken up better. The page is way to long.
This page is WAY too big. Noone will read that. It must be splitted in smaller chunks.--Serafimul 16:47, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
I tend to agree with LA-Motto, that duplicating the rules here as well seems too much. But I've been doing it, formating and making the tables, sections and whatever. It seems no one else is doing it, if anyone else think it's pointless let me know. Otherwise, I'm taking it to the end, step by step.
I thinks it's usefull primaraly for linking pruposes. If the headings are placed correctly it could be handy. Instead of reffering to or quoting the rules a link would be nice. --ukelele 00:03, 30 November 2005 (UTC)
Table of Contents
On the one hand, I like having things broken up wiki-wise into subsections.
On the other, the TOC had become completely unwieldy to the point of not being of much use.
My solution was to manually code a TOC using only the overall rules sections. I can think of two other alternatives that might be preferable: a) Break up the rules into separate pages for each section (this would probably make the most sense...) b) (the obvious) Revert to the way that it was previously, and rely on users hiding the TOC when they don't want it.
I'd like to be able to add a section TOC, but I don't see anything on the MediaWiki help pages that indicates this can be done. This is another point in favor of extracting the sections into separate pages. :)
--Mr Wednesday 23:54, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
Out of date
Just to prove the point that the rules shouldn't be here because they are constantly changing: they are out of date.
There are several things:
- The rules, as they can be read here, are indeed completely out of date
- There's the manual, which should replace the rules sooner or later, as far as I understood it.
- The rules are linked in the navigation on the left side, the manual isn't as yet. Can Admins change this or does it need a HT's intervention therefore?
--Mod-Karlthegreat 14:20, 13 November 2007 (UTC)
I think it needs an intervention from the HT. We could also discuss other issues in the left navigation. Maybe we should try to discuss with other active editors about it's content. --Jhattara 07:26, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
Mainly there are only you, Rob and me often around here. A few people working on translations or caring only about their own page, so not many unfortunately.
Well.. here's a first try:
- Main Page
- Recent changes
- Random page
- Help (I don't know if we can't move this to a new menu category "interaction", like the "real" Wikipedia does, together with everything in the "toolbox")
- Game Rules
- Manual (new)
- My Hattrick
- Editorials (new)
- Staff (it's a redirect from Employees to Staff..., maybe we should ad a disambiguation in the Staff article and point to an article Hattrick staff (to be created) there)
- Rating (maybe rename it "Ratings"?)
- Match Report
- Conference (I'd suggest "Conferences" here)
- Newbie Tips (as a direct link to the category)
- CHPP (instead of Helper Applications)
- History (?)
- World Cup
- U-20 World Cup
- Hattrick Masters
- Countries (?)
- Community (there's only a tiny article there as of yet)
No idea on the order for the moment.
Let the ideas come ;) --Mod-Karlthegreat 12:53, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
The Editorial can allready be found under My Hattrick, so I don't think we need that in the navigation menu. I also noticed both Conference and Community in your list. The conference is part of the community, so perhaps it's better to change conference in the current menu into community and let that link to the Category:Community. I agree with the other suggestions, especially a manual in the naviagtion menu is a great idea. --Rob184 16:05, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
What's this about "Manual" replacing "Rules"? With respect to updating the rules, I've edited to synch with HT in the past. If the changes aren't too extensive, I can do it again. --Mr Wednesday 22:02, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
To Rob: OK for the editorials/My Hattrick, the community/conference-thingys. I'll rework the list above soon after gathering more opinions here, especially concerning the now following thing.
To both of you: actually the manual is sensed replacing the rules sooner or later. The problem's how to deal with it in the HT Wiki. Go to HT -> Help -> Rules and you'll find this text: The new match engine is to be tested in friendlies this season, please read the manual (updated rules) to understand how it works. Manual (The word manual is actually a link to the manual).
Here's the problem: the manual covers things already covered in the gamerules, but not everything. Also there are no chapters and I suspect more chapters to being reworked in the next weeks/months/? (honestly: I dunno when and if, but I'd doubt if not).
There are three possibilities: two entries in the navigation, one gamerules and the other manual or only one Rules. In the first case we'd have both separate documents but sometimes the same content (in different versions). In the second case we'd have the choice between two separate articles too (and putting a link to an article Manual from the article Rules) or, third of our possibilities, one document and the new sections of the manual replacing the corresponding ones in the Rules (= the current and good old gamerules).
Opinions? --Mod-Karlthegreat 22:45, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
- At the very least, I think we should keep the current page in some form (either revised or archival) for historical reasons. Beyond that, I guess we need to wait and see what happens with the manual? --Mr Wednesday 01:02, 15 November 2007 (UTC)
- That could take a long time till the end. :S How about that: we keep the entry Rules which links to some kind of disambiguation page. That page would then basically say "There's a manual and there's the old gamerules (maybe an always current version and, if needed, the current version, which would be the last version with the old engine, as archived version). The manual shall replace the gamerules, but this isn't done yet. Therefore we have both documents here. etc."? --Mod-Karlthegreat 06:32, 15 November 2007 (UTC)
- Depending on what happens with the manual, it may even make more sense to change the menu entry to Manual, and include a link to the older rules at the top of the manual page. --Mr Wednesday 00:23, 20 November 2007 (UTC)
Rule changes for season 35
It looks like the "manual" is really just the HTs editing the rules in place. In general, I'm editing the rule page here to track the new rules on HT, but there's one pair of related changes that I am not mirroring: the shift of the player skill table from the Player chapter to the Match chapter, and the deletion of the player repositioning table. --Mr Wednesday 08:07, 4 March 2008 (UTC)
- Seems to me as the "manual" is gone indeed and has been merged with the normal rules. I forwarded the request for the menu some weeks ago, so I'll ask what's going to be done now finally and check for slight changes needed in our proposition.--Mod-Karlthegreat 17:02, 5 March 2008 (UTC)