Some cases where this template may apply are listed below. You may consider using a more specific tag.
- Works published in the U.S. before 1923.
- Works first published in 2003 or later by authors who died before 1937.
- Works published in the U.S. between 1923 and 1977 without a copyright notice.
- Works published in the U.S. between 1978 and March 1, 1989, without a copyright notice, and where the copyright was not later registered.
- Works published in the U.S. between 1923 and 1963 with a copyright notice but without later copyright renewal.
- Works published outside the U.S. before 1923, except possibly in the 9th Circuit, then before July 1, 1909.
- Works published outside the U.S. between 1923 and 1977 which were in the public domain in their home countries on January 1, 1996.
For more details and other cases, please see Wikipedia:Public domain.
For a complete list of all cases where an image is in the public domain in the United States, see 
This template adds images to the category Category:Images in the public domain in the United States.