Wing back (WB) is a player's position within Hattrick. The WB is the defender playing in the wing of the team's defence. He has the largest effect upon side defence ratings, but also contribute to side attack ratings.
According to the rules, which lists the components of left wing attack in the order of their relative contribution, wing skill on your winger is the only factor that gives you more wing attack than the wing skill of your wing back.
Wing skill on wing backs is helpful, but it can't be relied upon to deliver a wing attack on its own like the wing skill of a good winger can. However, wing back normal can add to an already good wing attack that you get from playing either a winger or a forward toward wing on the same side as the wing back.
WBs can be fielded normal and also as a defensive or offensive wing back or even towards middle, changing their rating contribution.
Wing back towards middle
75.0% of his Defending skill for Side Defence 68.3% of his Defending skill for the Central Defence 20.0% of his Playmaking skill for Midfield 35.0% of his Winger skill for Side Attack
Defensive wing back
100% of his Defending skill for the Side Defence rating 43% of his Defending skill for Central Defence rating 10% of his Playmaking skill for midfield rating 45% of his Winger skill for the Side Attack rating
Normal wing back
91.9% of his Defending skill for Side Defence 38.0% of his Defending skill for Central Defence 16.7% of his Playmaking for Midfield 59.0% of his Winger skill for Side Attack
Offensive wing back
— WBO can give a larger boost to the side attack, but this should only be used with caution as it is an extreme order that reduces the defensive qualities of the player for the gain of some more wing attack.
74% of his Defending skill for Side Defence 35% of his Defending skill for Central Defence 20% of his Playmaking skill for Midfield 69% of his Winger skill for Side Attack
A ranking of specialties on wing back:
- Head defender — improves chance of scoring on set pieces, but he can trigger negative events from Technical Wingers, Inner Midfielders, and Forwards.
- Powerful defender — loses more skills in the sun, but he plays better in the rain. He is the key player to improve pressing tactic.
- Technical defender — plays better in the sunshine, but loses skill in the rain. Your chances to trigger a non-tactical Counter-attack event increases with every Technical defender you have on the field.
- Quick defender — stops a quick event from Wingers, Forward or Inner Midfielder (100% chance), but has big negative drawback in losing skills both in rain and sun. Any Quick Winger will give a small boost on counter-attacks tactic.
- Unpredictable defender — can eliminate negative effects with high Defending, but needs good Passing skill to create SE chances.